Frequently Asked Questions

Got questions? Find the answers here.
Our extensive FAQs are here to answer any questions you might have about Justices of the Peace and the services JPs provide. Here you’ll find information about statutory declarations, certified copies, powers of attorney, affidavits and fees and much more.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact our Secretary for help.


General matters

What can a JP do for me?

A Justice of the Peace is authorised to administer oaths and affirmations, witness statutory declarations, take affidavits, witness signatures, and attest and certify documents.

How much do I owe you?

Nothing! Justices of the Peace are volunteers who provide their services to the community for free.

I’m not sure what to do; my husband said I shouldn’t sign these papers for our son, but I want to help. What should I do?

A JP is not in a position to give legal advice. If you are uncertain, you should seek legal advice from your solicitor before you sign the document.

I’m not happy with how a JP assisted me. How do I make a complaint?

We welcome all forms of feedback, including complaints, regarding the service offered by JPs within the ACT and about our services, activities, and operations. Our Complaints Handling Policy has information about how you can make a complaint and how we will handle it.

More questions?

You can probably find the information you need in the topics below. If not, contact our Secretary.

Certified copies

Find the answers here!

Statutory declarations

Find the answers here!

Powers of Attorney
blah blah blabbity blah

Find the answers here!

‘Proof of Life’ documents
blah blah blah

Find the answers here!

Documents in a language other than English

Find the answers here!